Sunday, November 10, 2013

Post, Post, Post

 Yesterday had my second riding lesson. It was as exciting, if not even more so, than the last. To begin with, I watched the local Pony Club finish off their jumping lesson. It's always great to watch other peoples' lessons because it can prepare you for later things and you can learn a lot.

 After their lesson, I fetched Reno from his paddock and groomed him. Man, was he dirty. He must have rolled around in it. Anyways, by the time I was done, I was dusty, which doesn't really bother me. I have to get used to it.
Totally true!

 Once Reno was groomed and tacked, I took him to the mounting block and climbed up. I felt great to be back up him---I have been waiting all week, and wait between my first and second lesson seemedlong since I already had a taste for riding.

 At the beginning of the lesson, I reviewed what I had learned in my first lesson---stopping, starting, turning, all important stuff. Then, I practiced turning circles around the jumps the Pony Club had left up. Once I was able to do that without Meghan leading Reno, I began learning another important element of riding---posting. First, I just practiced the movement. Then I learned about when you should go up and when you should go down, practicing it at a walk. Next, I did a few strides at the trot, not too long. My calves were already burning, though. Now I have two sore calves. Well, they do say pain is gain.

 After doing the trot work, I did one more circle and cooled down with the same ride around the barn as last time. I brushed Reno and checked his hooves. I spotted a small pebble wedged in his back hooves, a small, hard to spot thing, which Meghan helped to pick out. I'm glad I spotted it; even the smallest rock can harm a horse. Then, I brought him back to his paddock, giving him a few pats. He deserved it.

 Meghan told me that I am a good learner and that I am learning quickly. Yah! I'll put some pictures up on Monday, probably, once I have time to upload them.
*****
 Last week, I also ordered breeches and a helmet. Hopefully those arrive soon. The tall boots that fit my foot were way too long(several inches), so we were having difficulty finding some that would fit me. Another girl's mom recommended half chaps and paddock boots, so we ordered those. I'll make sure to post a picture of me in my gear once it arrives.



13 comments:

  1. :) Sounds like a great day! Love your "first lesson" posts--reminds me of my first riding days. Posting is like death at first, but you'll get used to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to hear that I'll get used to it. :)

      Delete
  2. I am so pleased your lessons are going so well! I remember learning to post! Keep stretching your calves and they will feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great :) Keep up the good work on your lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great second lesson! Your calves will get stronger too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wohoo! You are already coming along quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Sounds like a great 2nd lesson! Posting is hard at first but gets easier quickly. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm sure glad it gets easier. My legs were sore the whole rest of the day.

      Delete
  7. Sounds exciting. Photos are a must. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I took my first riding lessons, many, many years ago, I had such a hard time finding boots that fit over my calves. Back then boots with zippers weren't that common. So I settled for half chaps. I still have my original pair they are indestructible! I actually still have the breeches I bought back then, and they still fit even though I am no where NEAR the same size. They are my magic breeches ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great the half chaps are so good. Those are what I ordered.

      Delete

Thank you for reading this post! I love to hear from and interact with my readers; it's what makes blogging worth it, so please comment and let me know what you think.