Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Things I Want in a Horse

 Since I know that someday, even if it isn't soon, I'll be looking for a horse, I decided to make a list of things I want in horse. I think it's important to think about what you want in a horse to help you find the right one. Not only does it narrow down the list of possible horses, it keeps you from buying the wrong horse, one that is lacking in a non-negotiable trait. I of course have no experience horse shopping, so it's just me opinion. Without further ado, my list.

Non-negotiable Traits
 There are certain traits that I definitely want in my first horse, ones that I won't sacrifice. I'll divide these traits into categories, such as temperament and training level.

Temperament
Want
  •  Fairly calm temperament, probably around 4 or 5 on a on a scale of 1 to 10. 
  •  Kind, sweet personality. 
  • One I can bond with and have good partnership.
  • Forgiving
Don't want
  • A high-spirited horse
  • Spooks at everything
  • Doesn't like people
  • Is mean to other horse or people
Physical Traits
 Want
  • Honest gaits
  • Built so he can jump
Don't want:
  • Conformational flaws that inhibit his performance
  • Old injuries that inhibit performance, such as make him only suitable for flatwork.
  • Health problems
Training
Want
  • A good training foundation
  • Leads well
Don't want
  • Major training issues
Negotiable
 I would prefer a Thoroughbred, but breed is not as important as the other traits.

 When I actually do look for a horse, I will ask my trainers opinion too, of course. What traits do you like to look for when shopping for a horse?

8 comments:

  1. I like a horse who is honest and keeps his rider's safety in mind despite any training or mental limitations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Having these outlined will help you get a suitable horse.
    When my husband and I decided to adopt Bohemian, my criteria was: age (7 or younger) and cost ($0). But we knew we could exchange the horse if we didn't "click" so ultimately temperament was a factor too of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Age and cost are good to think about as well.

      Delete
  3. It's funny, I looked for everything that I didn't get in the end, haha! Of course, I fell in love with the things I hated, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My list helped me tremendously when I was looking! But in the end, it was all about the feeling. The first lesson I took on Miles, I knew he was the one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI hope I get that feeling about a horse someday!

      Delete

Thank you for reading this post! I love to hear from and interact with my readers; it's what makes blogging worth it, so please comment and let me know what you think.