There are certain traits that I definitely want in my first horse, ones that I won't sacrifice. I'll divide these traits into categories, such as temperament and training level.
- Fairly calm temperament, probably around 4 or 5 on a on a scale of 1 to 10.
- Kind, sweet personality.
- One I can bond with and have good partnership.
- A high-spirited horse
- Spooks at everything
- Doesn't like people
- Is mean to other horse or people
- Honest gaits
- Built so he can jump
- Conformational flaws that inhibit his performance
- Old injuries that inhibit performance, such as make him only suitable for flatwork.
- Health problems
- A good training foundation
- Leads well
- Major training issues
I would prefer a Thoroughbred, but breed is not as important as the other traits.
When I actually do look for a horse, I will ask my trainers opinion too, of course. What traits do you like to look for when shopping for a horse?